St. Patty’s Day has always been a thing for me. Not usually a “daughter’s in a play, family dinner” kinda thing but that’s what it has become. I have many fond memories of tearing up Chicago in honor of St. Patrick’s Day (even though I’m not quite sure who this Saint is or why I’m celebrating him). Any excuse for green clothes, green beer, and CORNED BEEF AND CABBAGE!!!
Thanks to my go-to recipe finder, Skinnytaste, I was able to transform an otherwise unhealthy celebration into a healthier one!
- 2 lbs lean corned beef brisket, all fat trimmed off
- 1 cup frozen pearl onions
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 small head cabbage, cut into 6 wedges
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- ⅛ tsp whole peppercorns
- In a 5-6 qt crock pot, place brisket, carrots, parsnips, pearl onions, parsley, bay leaves, peppercorns and 3 cups of water. Cover and cook on high 4 hours.
- Add cabbage, cook on high 1 hour 20 minutes more. Remove meat, slice and serve .
Hat’s to decorate, mashed cauliflower to go with, and hamantaschen for dessert…what else could you possibly want at your St. Patty’s Day celebration?!?!