Some would think I haven’t been playing around with recipes, and those people would be right. It seems that our house becomes full of extra chaos around dinner time, so I’ve been resorting to the easiest, oldies but goodies to feed my family. I have not stopped searching for recipes though so I decided to give these two a try…
Taco night is always a big hit in these parts, so I decided to up the anty with the nutritional value of taco night.
- 1 lb Lean Ground Turkey
- ½ of a Sweet Onion chopped
- 1 Jalapeno Pepper Diced
- About 1 and ½ cups of chopped Kale (100g)
- 1 Medium Sweet Pepper chopped small
- 1 15oz can of black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 tbsp dried Cumin
- Healthy Pinch of Kosher Salt
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, spray with non-stick spray and brown the turkey with onion. Dice the Jalapeno and add it to the browning meat. Leave in the seeds and ribs if you’d like a bit more heat. Chop the kale small. Add the chopped kale to the skillet with a pinch of salt and stir all together.Add in the diced pepper, black beans and spices. Cook for a few more minutes allowing all the flavors to merge and the pepper to soften just a little bit. Lower to a simmer to keep warm until ready to use
The nice thing is that I was able to make this around 2 (naptime), keep it in a closed frying pan and re-heat and serve at 5:30. I doubled the recipe because we had guests and could have another meal out of it. I served with those stand-up hard shells which was a new thing for us. My good eater, Drew, scarfed it all up. The other two kids were not so interested in the meal. It was a huge hit with the grown-ups though!!! I will definitely do this one again!
For dessert, we had these which are easy, good for you,”Gabby-friendly” and DELISH!!
I pinned this from some miscellaneous website but it’s super easy! 2 large bananas, 1 cup of quick oats and I added chocolate chips. Cook for 15 minutes at 350.
The thing about these cookies is that they are so good for you that even the kids that didn’t eat were allowed dessert. Anything that keeps the fighting down to a minimal is great in my book!
Another big hit of a meal originating from Pinterest, I should be their spokesperson 🙂