There’s something about winter that makes me want foods that warm my innards. I started the season with chilies and now I have moved on to soups. Special thanks to Jackie for posting that she was making taco soup on Facebook and peaked my interest. Then I found out that I could use my crock pot (which has become my new obsession) and it could potentially be Gabby friendly if it were made with chicken or turkey. Lastly, it’s insanely easy. It was a winner for me right from the start.
- 1 pound ground beef (I substituted ground chix)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can chili beans, with liquid
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans with liquid
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, with liquid
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 cups water
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans peeled and diced tomatoes
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chile peppers
- 1 (1.25 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- In a medium skillet, cook the ground beef until browned over medium heat. Drain, and set aside.
- Place the ground beef, onion, chili beans, kidney beans, corn, tomato sauce, water, diced tomatoes, green chile peppers and taco seasoning mix in a slow cooker. Mix to blend, and cook on Low setting for 8 hours.
I doctored it up for presentation, adding the chips, cheese and sour cream (to everyone’s except Gabby’s of course). It was a HUGE hit. Seconds all around! Enjoy!