My family loves meatballs, which seem to translate over to a loaf of meat too. Across America meatloaf has often represented a basic family meal. The best part is that you can easily use 99% fat free ground turkey breast or ground chicken breast, which makes it low fat for the grown-ups. Add some ketchup for the kids and it’s a win/win across the board. In addition to that, I can usually make it ahead of time and have my husband bake it while I’m running around with the little beasts. Works well for our lifestyle.
- ¼ cup plus 2 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tsp worcestershire sauce
- ½ small onion, minced
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1.3 lb 99% lean ground turkey
- ½ cup seasoned breadcrumbs (I use 4c Whole Wheat)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp marjoram
- salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°. In a small bowl combine 2 tbsp ketchup with worcestershire sauce.
- Saute olive oil and onion on low until translucent, remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl mix turkey, onion, breadcrumbs, egg, ¼ cup ketchup, salt and marjoram. Place mixture into a loaf pan or shape into a loaf and place on a baking pan. Spoon sauce on top.
- Bake uncovered for 55-60 minutes, remove from oven and let it sit for 5 minutes before slicing. (I cooked it for 57 minutes and it was OVERDONE)
I stand by the fact that Skinnytaste is amazing when it comes to creative, delicious, low fat recipes. However, I also stand by that my onion soup mix meatloaf is THE.BEST.
But I successfully nourished my children nonetheless, so mission accomplished as far as I’m concerned!!!!