I’ve been talking up this soup to anyone who will hear lately. I’ve made it for just about everyone in my family. Across the board, everyone loves it! It’s more like a stew/chili than loose soup. It’s easy, nutritious and a one pot wonder, which is any moms’ dream come true!
For the kids I’ll add baked scoop chips for dipping and lots of shredded cheese. For the grownups I’ll throw a side of whole wheat baguette and call it a day!
I’m lazy so the recipe calls for rice and I settle on one of those Uncle Ben’s Ready Rice. I also use ground turkey breast which is incredibly low in fat. I frequently double to keep a meal in the freezer.
- 1lb. Ground Beef (I use Ground Turkey Breast
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 large bell pepper, diced
- 1 can (29 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (10 oz.) tomato soup - or tomato sauce (I use tomato soup)
- 1 can (14 oz.) chicken broth - or beef broth (I use chicken)
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- shredded cheese for topping
- In a large pot, brown and crumble ground meat along with pepper and onion over medium-high heat.
- Add diced tomatoes (I don't drain the can).
- Then add tomato soup/sauce and broth.
- Next add rice.
- Add seasonings.
- Cover and let simmer on low-medium for 30 minutes.