What went awry?

June 21, 2012

I’ve decided that I should never run errands with my kids again. Nothing pretty ever comes out of it. Even if it starts out strong with a nice solid finish and a reward at the end, it usually gets ugly at some point or another.

It’s possible that today’s trip, in particular, was doomed from the get go. I had originally thought that I was going to be given the opportunity to fly solo on this trip to Trader Joes. Sadly, it didn’t work out that way. Perhaps the biggest issue, per usual, comes from me. There are some days that my innards are cool, calm and collected (who am I kidding that rarely happens?!?). And there are other days where I feel edgy all day long. Gabby is crying over twenty thousand different reasons, Drew is pushing his limits with everything from his cereal bowl to putting his shoes on. Today was not one of those days.

Thursdays we are given the rare chance to sleep in. I prepped the kids accordingly, which usually doesn’t mean a whole heck of a lot and they choose those days to wake up at the crack of dawn. Today, however, I woke Drew at 8:30 am and Gabby woke up at 9 am. Peace. With swim class at 10:45, we got to have a leisurely breakfast and even managed to walk out the door on time without me developing extra veins sticking out of my forehead from screaming so much. Peace.

Drew had his swim class, he held his breath five seconds longer than he ever had before. When we’re talking about six months of him holding his breath for a solid two seconds and then miraculously holding his breath for seven seconds, that is big stuff! Gabby didn’t have any behavioral problems at the daycare. Peace. We met Grandpa Cookoo for lunch that was oddly calm – the kids ate well and stayed in their seats the whole meal. Peace.

Then the proverbial shit hit the fan. Ones, twos and threes were thrown out without any magical endings (One, Two, Three, Magic – consequence). Products were thrown from shelves, innocent shoppers were called nasty words, and strangers clothes were pulled. Mom was most definitely no longer in her peaceful state! What went wrong?

Perhaps we all would have been better off if I didn’t push the nap/quiet time back for this outing. Perhaps that extra stop was where our peaceful threshold was challenged. I could easily keep us busy Monday thru Friday on my agenda, but I work hard on balancing out time for them – doing things that will be productive coupled with fun outings. Is it so much to ask that they give me 45 minutes of peace to get the shopping down? Or did they give me an entire morning of peace and I’m just asking too much?

Comments are closed.

« « Spotlight

We speak the same language! » »

© Mommys Two Cents