So awhile back I tried a Black Bean and Quinoa dish. I fessed up that although I have had quinoa at restaurants and enjoyed it, I have never actually made quinoa and liked the end result. You people, a.k.a. my wonderful readers, gave me lots of recipes to try. I’m going to give Jessica Shiffman yet another call out, I’m thinking she should be my recipe researcher, for introducing me to not only a delicious quinoa recipe but my new favorite recipe that I am incorporating in my repertoire at least every couple of weeks! Another great thing about this recipe is that it introduced me to another great website for recipes…a website, $5 Dinners, that meets my budgetary needs too!
- 1 lb. ground beef (I used ground turkey)
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 14-oz. can diced tomatoes (with juice)
- 1 4-oz. can chopped chilies
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1-1/2 cup water
- 1-1/2 T. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- I added mushrooms too but the recipe did not call for it
- Brown ground beef (turkey) and onion; drain excess fat.
- Rinse quinoa in sieve/colander.
- Add tomatoes, chilies, quinoa, water and spices to ground beef mixture and simmer (uncovered) for about 25 minutes. (If water evaporates too quickly, cover pan for remainder of cooking time.)
- Serve Mexican Ground Beef Quinoa Skillet.
I must be shopping at the wrong place because my quinoa alone was $5, but that’s besides the point. This recipe was worth every penny because we loved it! And when I say we…I mean ALL FOUR OF US!!!!!!!! Seconds were had by all!!!!!! SUCCESS!