With the kids’ big birthday bash just a mere couple of weeks away, I have been hard at work. I’m aspiring to make a sweet table of all Gabby friendly treats. In addition to that, my best friend is a vegan. So I clearly couldn’t pass up a vegan brownie cake recipe.
- 1 ½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups white sugar
- cup plus 1 T. pure unsweetened cocoa powder
- t. baking powder
- t. salt
- cup water
- cup plain unsweetened almond milk or soy milk
- cup canola oil
- t. vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Lightly oil a 9” round cake pan and set aside.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. In another small mixing bowl, whisk together the water, almond milk, canola oil and vanilla. Add the wet ingredients to the dry, mixing until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely on a wire cooling rack before icing with vegan ganache, if desired.
Much like I uncovered last week, my kids LOVE anything chocolatey (just like me). These turned out very molten gooey chocolatey so one we had no choice but to eat. The other I froze in preparation for the party. I’m not sure if it will hold when it comes to defrosting. If it does, though, it is absolutely heavenly and everyone agreed! I do think it is best right out of the oven but I don’t think I’ll turn it away in any regard. Someone noted in the comments that you can add 1/2 cup applesauce and 1/4 cup oil instead of all the oil. I think I may try that next time to lower the calories. Otherwise, I’m sure if there were eggs in it, it may stay together more. But if delicious is what you are going for, you have a winner here!