In honor of Superbowl I researched some Gabby-friendly low-fat appetizer options. Needless to say, it was a difficult conquest. Fortunately I landed back at my favorite place, Crock Pot Girl.
This recipe was easy to make, low fat and stocked full of protein. In a world of cheesy dips, high in carbohydrates and low in nutritional value, this recipe seemed like a great choice.
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 small onion
- Jalapeno (jarred, sliced jalapeno ok)
- Cumin (to taste)
- 2 cans Black beans
- In food processor dice up garlic,onion,jalapeno, cumin.
- Add black beans and process until smooth (adding water as needed)
- Warm in Crock pot until ready to eat (usually a couple hours to get tastes throughout) add water to keep consistency. (optional: add leftover Pork for more flavor)
- Serve with doritos/tortilla chips, sour cream, & shredded cheese.
When I first made the mixture, I was skeptical. It didn’t quite taste right. As the smells infested our house, I was more hopeful. It turned out great! I loved it. I did not add sour cream and cheese which would probably make it even better. Instead I used raw veggies and Tostitos Simply Natural chips (which were the best “not so bad for you” chips that don’t cost $6 a bag).
So Crock Pot Girl did it again for me! I loved this recipe – it was easy to make, everyone could eat it and it was delicious! Only problem…my Allergy Princess wouldn’t even look at it let alone taste it. Strike out yet again for Mom. Back to the drawing board…